Job type: Clinical Medicine Editor
Employer: Pan African Medical Journal
Location: Flexible location on African continent. Preference
Qualifications: Doctorate Degree in Medicine with proven experience in scientific
Employment type: Contract of one year duration. Renewable based on performance.
The Pan African Medical Journal (PAMJ) is an Open Access scientific journal
focusing on medicine and public health in developing countries in general and
in Africa more specifically. The journal was created in late 2007 and is now
the largest open access journal in Africa with two editorial offices in Kampala
(Uganda) and Yaoundé (Cameroon) totaling 12 full time staff. PAMJ is
supported by the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) and has published
more than 3000 scientific articles reaching a readership of more than 7000
registered users and an average of 20,000 unique visitors per month. PAMJ is
archived in Pubmed Central, indexation is effective on Pubmed, Medline, AJOL,
EBSCO, DOAJ, and Scopus.
To adjust to its rapid growth, PAMJ is seeking a young, self-motivated Clinical
Editor to join its dynamic Editorial Team. The incumbent will provide clinical
oversight and expertise for manuscripts submitted as Case Reports and Images
in Clinical Medicine and will manage the new PAMJ rubrique Image quizz.
More specifically, the incumbent will:
1. Oversee scientific review of manuscripts submitted as case reports and
Images in clinical medicine.
2. Populateand manage the PAMJ Clinical Quiz (http://www.panafrican-med-journal.com/quizz/index.php)
3. Communicate with authors and peer reviewers
4. Resolve dispute with authors
5. Work to maintain the highest level of scientific integrity of PAMJ
6. Overall, adhere to COPE best practice guidelines for journal editors (http://publicationethics.org/files/u2/Best_Practice.pdf)
The clinical editor reports to the managing editors and will be assessed according
to defined performance metrics.
The position requires:
- Doctorate Degree in Medicine
- Experience in clinical practice and teaching in a university hospital setting
- Proven experience in scientific editing/writing or related areas
- Proficiency in English or French written and spoken (Being bilingual is an
- Strong interest in the development of the open access movement for medical
and scientific publishing
- Precise attention to detail
- Ability to work closely with managing editors, authors and production team
to meet regular deadlines.
- Scientific copy-editing experience is desirable but not necessary.
This is a consultancy position with flexible work location. The contract is
one year renewable based on performance.
To apply: Please send your application (CV and cover letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must include a resume and cover letter stating why this position
is of interest to her/him.
Your CV should include some evidence of publications in peer review journals.
PAMJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.